new background

Monday, February 27, 2012

For the love of Arti

Does your family have a favorite veggie? Our top choice is artichokes (thanks to my mom, who fed them to me for as long as I can remember). I vaguely remember LIKES ARTICHOKES being one of the items on my eligible husband list. Seriously, these spikey veggies are important to me. Anyway, I am so thrilled that my kiddos love them as much as I do. They are on sale now since it is the end of artichoke season and I have a pot of them on the stove right now. How do we cook them? Boil them! It is so tremendously easy, and contrary to popular food tv shows, you do not have to work on them with a fancy knife for half an hour before cooking. They taste the same if you leave the leaves in tact. Imagine that!

While I am on the subject of nostalgic food, I made a Lazy Wife Cake this week. I got the recipe for this from a friend who lived in the jungle in eastern Bolivia. She baked hers in a wood-burning oven, which I do not possess, but it is delicious nonetheless. I love it because it is milkless and eggless, so I don't have to worry about having those on hand. It should have a better name; as I do not consider myself to be a lazy wife, but I love how easy it is!
And that concludes my food musings for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment